Mike Portnoy, Avenged Sevenfold New Drummer

Mike_Portnoy

Avenged Sevenfold has issued the following update about entering the recording studio with Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater. Avenged drummer Jimmy “The Rev” Sullivan, who died in late December, was a huge fan and greatly influenced by Portnoy.

“I want our fans to know that with Jimmy in our hearts, our journey to record has officially began. Jimmy helped leave this world an amazing gift and now it’s our job to make sure to deliver that gift to our fans. We asked Jimmy’s all time favorite drummer Mike Portnoy to record on behalf of him. Mike said it would be an honor and without question that’s what Jim would have wanted. Its comforting to us that someone like Mike, who is undoubtedly revered as one of the best drummers in the world, held such respect and adoration for the Rev’s abilities.

“Even though it will never be the same without our brother by our side, his essence lives in our hearts and through the music he helped create. He was a legend before any of the success or any of that bullshit and we are fucking excited to lay this down for our fans, and especially for Jimmy.”

76 comments for “Mike Portnoy, Avenged Sevenfold New Drummer

1. August 27, 2010 at 1:02 pm

For one thing, MP has awesome experience and is a legendary drummer. The Rev was good, but he sang like a little whiney bitch; and he looked like a faggot with his gay ass hair style. Its a shame he died, but MP is going to make the band better.

2. Randolfthegreen
    August 31, 2010 at 4:57 am

First off your a dick for talkin about the Rev that way.
    He was an amazing drummer and he did a lot to revolutionize
    drumming for future artists. Yes mike portnoy is a great drummer
    but the rev could be considered just as great. Don’t disrespect
    someone that’s passed away, its rude and unnecessary. I look
    forward to seeing avenged sevenfold with their new drummer
    in dallas!

3. zakk
    August 31, 2010 at 10:13 am

the rev is one of the best drummers period.
    i look up to him still and he has a greatinfluence on my music and drummin taste hes simply amazing thats all there is to it a7x will def b a lil lost with out him seeing how he helped write most of a7x’s songs
    MP is a fantastic drummer and will deff b a good addition to the crew he wont b like the rev for the rev has his own signature style but the rev looked up to him so i think he will bring on great success to jimmmy
    i say we induct the rev into the drumming hall of fame if he isnt already there

4. September 2, 2010 at 6:36 am

dude its a shame the drummer died. Mike portnoy should be honored to take his place among A7x. the band is truly amazing and he is going to be a good replacement but he will never fully take the place of the previous drummer. oh and yeah he mightve looked pretty damn weird but the most skilled people look freaking crazy so if you look normal then im sorry but you have no talent haha

5. jason
    September 7, 2010 at 10:07 pm

The rev was an amazing fucking drummer and i got the privelage of meeting him. If youre a a7x fan then there’s no reason to talk shit about any of them. Ive lost close ones too and when i heard about the rev i was so depressed! DONT TALK SHIT ABOUT THAT GUY!!!!! I wish i coulda partied with him!!!! Anyways, im looking foward to seeing them when they come through next!!!! cheers!!!!

6. Joe Combs
    September 11, 2010 at 4:15 am

I love a7x period! I will shoot homie for talking about the rev so just know that this band is made of VERY TALENTED individuals and if you doubt that then I thinks you need to listen to #5 on the nightmare cd “the new cd” and you will see that these titans arent goin anywhere! A7x are champions. J. Combs

7. Dustin
    September 24, 2010 at 6:32 am

Reaper8877 dude your an idiot! the rev was fucking awesome! MP is ok but he is not the same as rev there drumming styles are too different in my opinion. MP is good yes but he wont make the bad any greater then they where R.I.P rev one of the greatest of all time.

8. Joe Combs
    September 25, 2010 at 5:06 am

Sorry in my last comment I told the unbeliever to listen to track 5… well I meant listen to every mfkn track!!! I had just got the cd when I 1st commented but it didnt take long b4 every track had my ass hooked! Now I especially listen to track 11 the loudest. This horse will ride no matter what terrain its running through! Mike P is Revs idol so that only makes sense for him to be the 4th leg. This band has opened my eyes! If Mike P stays in the dream theater then I would think the new drummer should be a close friend of the bands. He should be nutts! LOL The Revs place could never be filled but it doesnt mean there arent anymore nutty fuckn drummers that out of their mind! All hail A7x!!!

9. Larry
    September 29, 2010 at 12:12 am

MP is a better overall drummer than the rev, but that doesnt mean hes gonna be able to mesh and fit in, in order to make the band better. I dont think MP is gonna be able to fit the style as well by any means.

10. Aaron
    October 6, 2010 at 6:10 am

Mike Portnoy was in Dream Theater, Liquid Tension Experiment, Neal Morse, Yellow Matter Custard, OSI

11. EpiCNEss
    October 18, 2010 at 2:17 am

F*** Mike Portnoy!!!! he can suck big D*** for all i care, he can not and will not replace the rev…. :p

12. November 1, 2010 at 1:37 am

Dude the rev was the best, funniest, most awsome drummer of all time. If you fucking say shit about the rev ever again, I’ll track you down and fucking kill you. You have no right to say anything like that about the rev. I mean you can have an oppinion but you can’t judge him just by what he looked like and his music style. I garenty you don’t even know him so again you have no right to say that about him. R. I. P. Rev. We will all miss you so.

13. Dinosaur!
    November 11, 2010 at 2:09 am

why the fuck would you say somthin like that itz not right the rev was one of the awsomest drummers of all time letz see how good u r at the drums

14. merul
    November 13, 2010 at 10:34 am

rev is the best.Yaaa, for sure MP is good but there are no chemistry between MP and Marshall such we can see in many of their songs that the REV always being a background singer and combined together with Marshall

15. nakaboy
    November 14, 2010 at 5:21 am

Reaper8877 im pretty sure you arent the coolest thing on the face of the earth so i would like to see you make a7x any better than the rev did.

16. December 4, 2010 at 12:57 pm

the rev is was the best drummer ever i think so u haters need to leave the rev alone RIP jimmy sullivan i miss u man oh and by the way jimmy sullivan was irreplacable

17. rda
    December 10, 2010 at 9:21 am

the rev you are the best drummer

18. rda
    December 10, 2010 at 9:36 am

synester you are the best guitarist in the world

19. a7x#1fan
    December 19, 2010 at 1:39 am

a7x rox anyone that hates on them should burn in hell!!! the rev kicks ass and so does synester gates the best band ever!!!

20. January 18, 2011 at 5:37 am

The Rev was one of the best musicians I have ever fucking seen that walked to this world. Not just one of the best creatives drummers, also a great singer!

It´s sad to see that we still have people who doesn´t know yet that if you got anything good to say, SOMETIMES, is better to shut the fuck up! (referred to the first comment)

Jimmy, fuck, we will miss you, for sure I already do. It´s sad when a great mind with a powerfull soul leave this world, coz he full us with his charming creativity!

You influenced me and my music and I will allways be thankfull for that, sorry was so short! but I will always will keep playing this part that is record in my mind:

“I’ve had enough
    It’s time for something real
    I don’t respect the words you’re speaking
    Gone too far
    A clone”

Love & Peace (rest) we will see all together soon!

Billy Foxx (rocksario, Argentina)

21. dave
    January 20, 2011 at 4:32 am

hahahah dude i am a fucking Drummer and the rev cant hold portney jock strap….please dream theater is 1000000 times the musicians avenge sevenfold could ever be…… there lucky to have him as there drummer. period

22. christina
    February 1, 2011 at 7:55 pm

dude its fuckin hilarious that you are doggin one of the most inspirational drummers known to man, who is fuckin dead! while I guarentee you that you arent even known at all! grow the fuck up dude and get a fuckin life, the rev was famous, the rev was the shit, the rev knew how to play and therefore was recognized, you on the other hand, where are you at? probably stuck in a small town garage wanna be band takin boob breaks to go suck ur moms breast every 30 minutes, no real life, no job, no fuckin chance! deal with it the rev was the shit, along with syn, m shadows, zacky, johnny, and now mike (which honestly he kinda stands out style wise from the rest of the band, so maybe a lil clean up will fit him in good 🙂 ) not doggin him at all he just stands out, so listen grow the fuck up move on and go masterbate in the same fuckin corner you do every night since you cant get laid by a real girl!

23. christina
    February 1, 2011 at 7:56 pm

o and btw reaper, everyone has their opinions so I value yours. But then I also crumble it up step on it spit on it then kick it into the ditch where it belongs

24. vqovbbo noqvnopqN
    February 28, 2011 at 11:45 pm

fuk all u haterz the rev is and always will b da worlds best drummer in da world

25. Jamie
    July 2, 2011 at 5:58 am

He’s not as cute as the Rev. :/

26. DAR
    July 11, 2011 at 8:55 am

DUD THE REV IS GONE, NOTHING WE CAN DO ABOUT IT GOD I WILL MISS HIM SOOOO MUCH BUT WE HAVE TO WELCOME MIKE NOW I’M SURE THE REV WILL BE HELPIN MIKE OUT ON THE RUFF PARTS BUT HEY WE HAVE TO MAKE HIM FEEL WELCOME HE’S GOT REALLY BIG SHOES TO FILL ROCK ON REV AND A7X..
    I AM PROBABLY THEIR OLDEST FAN (I’M 50) BUT THEIR MUSIC IS THE BEST AND WE HAVE TO KEEP IT THAT WAY!!

Comments are closed.